Eucalyptus globulus, and other species of eucalyptus, are indigenous to Australia, where the leaves are employed by the natives as a remedy for intermittent fever. It was thus introduced to Europeans towards the middle of the nineteenth century. Possibly its employment by the crew of the ship La Favorite, who in the vicinity of Botany Bay were nearly decimated by fever, from which they recovered through the use of an infusion of the leaves of eucalyptus, first gave the drug conspicuity, through the efforts of Dr. Eydoux and M. de Salvy. Dr. Ramel, of Valencia, however, has the credit of introducing the remedy to the Academy of Medicine, 1866, thus bringing the drug to the attention of the medical profession, by whom it is now used in extract form, in other directions than that for which it was originally commended. The distilled oil of eucalyptus has now an extended reputation and use. The date of its first use by the natives of Australia is unknown.
The History of the Vegetable Drugs of the U.S.P., 1911, was written by John Uri Lloyd.