Gleanings From the Medical Summary.
In most cases of anemia and chlorosis of young women purgatives will do more good than iron.
Attach a soft rubber catheter to a syringe and irrigate the colon of babies suffering from ileocolitis.
Fluid extract of conium in half-dram doses is claimed to have given good results in threatened abortion.
Cannabis indica in 1-4-grain doses, three times a day for a long time, is curative in many cases of chronic headache.
To sober a "drunk" in short order give a hypodermic of apomorphine, 1/10 grain, and follow with capsicin. If there is much depression, strychnine and ammonia will be indicated.
A little pineapple juice is a better digestive ferment than most of the pepsin preparations on the market. A small slice may be eaten after the meal, but the fibrous portion should not be swallowed.
Bed-sores are best treated by bathing in alcohol and dusting with stearate of zinc; or, one drachm of tannic acid added to a half-pint of alcohol and the same amount of water used several times will do the work.
- Do you see anything to love in a little child?
- Have you sympathy with all good causes?
- Can you look straight in the eye of an honest man or a pure woman?
- Will a lonely dog follow you?
- Do you believe in lending a helping hand to weaker men?
- Can you be high minded and happy in drudgery?
- Can you see as much beauty in washing dishes and hoeing corn as in playing golf and the piano?
- Do you know the value of time and money?
- Are you good friends with yourself ?
- Do you see anything in life besides dollars and cents ?
- Can you see sunshine in a mud puddle?
- Can you see beyond the stars?
- Editorial in The Medical Standard.
C. B. Williams, M. D., claims that viburnum, in his hands, has relaxed a rigid os as quickly as chloral. It is agreed that it is a perfectly safe and very accessible remedy.